What's going on?
It's a damp day in the city. Kathryn seems to be enjoying her new day care. Yesterday, she didn't want to leave. She's also counting to 10. I'm working on multiplication tables and deductive reasoning, but expect this will take more time :) Leah's moving along with her coursework. Her mom Gayle is recovering from her surgery about 10 days ago, so we all are relieved it went well.
We were really sad to hear about Roger Wilhelm. He was my cousin Margaret's husband and died suddenly a little over a week ago. Roger was a teacher (economics and history) and always an interesting fellow. He was clansman of the year in the Illinois St. Andrew's society and just an all-around good guy. Roger will be missed. We were really pleased that we had a chance to visit with Roger and Margaret in Seattle in January. As it is always, life is ever changing and will never be the same after the death of a family member.
In other news, you might have heard about a shooting rampage in Seattle last weekend. This is the 2nd event of its type in the area this year, only the last time in the Tacoma Mall, the nutter luckily did not kill anyone. This killing was uncomfortably close. One victim was confirmed at our local Lake City church. He was a deacon, and participated in youth mission trips in Washington and Mexico. The young man had just finished drug rehab and appeared on the right track and was shot and killed for nothing. His mother attended this last Sunday morning service and we were there as well. The despair among several members was palpable. The shooter, who shot himself when confronted by police, lived in apartments not a mile from our home. The shooter in Tacoma Mall a few months ago lived with the sister-in-law of one of my local musical colleagues. This all reminds me of C. Fredrick Methias, our church minister who was senselessly killed in his house in my childhood neighborhood, less than a mile from my mother. Then, of the double murder suicide in 1992 in Eigenmann Hall where I lived at IU. This is an interesting story, because on the night of that event, I left the psychology building, perhaps 20 mintues before the shooting. I had a choice, I could either go back to Eigenmann or goto the Music Hall and practice. I chose to practice and headed to the music hall. Had I proceeded to Eigenmann, I would have arrived there at the time of the shooting. I spent several hours at the music school and speech and hearing and returned just after the police reopened the building. God was looking after me, I imagine. I wish though, He could do something to curb murders. Seattle really isn't a big crime town. Murder is not that common.
It's spring, and I am enjoying the extended sunlight and warmer temperatures. It was 60 (15C) yesterday. We are certainly on a roll. We are also looking forward to many visits this summer. In July, Leah's cousin Richard will be visiting. In August, Leanne, John, Alex and Ashleigh will be here. And In September, Leah's family visits. My mom is thinking about coming out in June, too. So, it looks like a fun filled summer. Work is clicking along too. We have a 9-year old girl and a young man to participate in a cochlear implant sound processing clinical trial starting May 3. So we are delighted to be kicking that off.
All for now, Ward


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home